Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gadget Tip: Read Manuals and Maximize Your Gadget's Potential

As a proud owner this brand new, albeit entry level DSLR baby, Nikon D40, I have been pretty busy looking into getting better at doing photographs. Even as I do this, I have been looking for tips and tricks and what nots that pertain to this particular model of DSLR. 

Reading through forums and lingering over at KenRockwell.com’s webpage is helping me a lot. Especially so that the manual that I got hold with my kit is in German. Ken Rockwell provided a D40 user guide that is just so easy to understand, even for someone who is not big on manuals ever. This is where I inject my tip for the day: Read manuals to maximize the potential of your gadget. 

As I mentioned, I have never been big on manual reading. I usually go by feel, but I understand that if I wanted to be more than just a photography hobbyist, I should go beyond that mediocre phase. Get to know whatever gadget you have. Like for instance, for this particular topic, your DSLR. 

Sure you can go by feel and figure out what will be the best settings for exposure modes, medtering controls, flash, focus, white balance and all other settings. But wouldn’t it be nicer if you get hold of the manual and get it straight from the manufacturer what each and every button is built for. Manual reading is essential if you would like to go beyond the so-so performance of whatever gadget. Otherwise, you do not just risk not being able to optimize its potential, but you could also mess up with its settings and if you are not very lucky run the risk of destroying the software of your gadget. 

Read your manuals and go through forums and helpful web pages that could assist you through your gadget. That is what I am doing now and for everything about cameras, go for the guru himself, Ken Rockwell. 

0 comments: